Planning to travel abroad? Everyone is aware that anything can happen when you travel. You could get sick or even involved in an accident. Avoid unforeseen medical expenses by getting a good visitor medical insurance.
Visitor Insurance is a short term international travel insurance plan. These plans are usually designed to cover the necessary expenses related to unforeseen injuries, accidents, or illnesses that can occur when traveling outside your home country.
When do you need visitor medical insurance?
If you are planning to visit Canada or if you have friends and family visiting, ensure that you enjoy the trip without interruptions. If medical emergencies come up or you get sick, visitor insurance can help you cover the expenses. An adequate visitor insurance plan can ensure that you get the necessary medical attention you require without having to pay out of your pocket.
Depending on the type or level of insurance coverage you purchase, the plan can cover the expenses for:
- New illnesses or injuries that happen during the trip
- An accident that results in an injury
- Emergency medical evacuation
However, some of the things typically not covered in these plans include preventative care services (routine checkups, physical examinations, immunization shots), maternity and childbirth needs, vision-related services.
It is also important to note that while done insurance policies do not cover pre-existing conditions, they can do offer coverage for acute onset of symptoms. You will need to seek medical attention within a 12 to 24-hour window after initial symptoms in order to determine if your condition is an acute-onset relapse or recurrence of pre-existing conditions.
Types of visitor insurance
Visitor insurance plans are broadly classified into two types.
1. Limited or scheduled benefit plan:
These are known as basic visitor insurance plans because they are generally low-cost and pay for covered expenses up to a certain amount. This amount is pre-determined in the details of the policy. Ensure you review the policy and its coverage before purchasing this type of plan.
2. Comprehensive coverage plan:
These plans pay a percentage amount for every expense. They offer more benefits than a basic insurance plan and can also offer coverage for acute onset or pre-existing conditions.
Benefits of visitor insurance
1. These plans can be used for different time periods, ranging from 5 days to 1 year. Some plans can offer coverage for longer periods of time.
2. These plans are relatively inexpensive and require you to pay lesser premiums that can cover any larger medical expenses later down the line.
3. The plans are designed to cover any unforeseen injuries due to accidents or illnesses, including new and unexpected medical conditions.
4. These plans are also refundable before or after the effective date of the policy. However, this is subject to the terms and conditions of the respective insurance policy.
5. These plans offer coverage for hospital visits, doctor’s appointments, pharmacy prescriptions provided by qualified medical practitioners, and emergency medical care.
If you wish to find out more about the various visitor insurance plans available on the market, get in touch with an expert insurance broker.